Attention: Alarm and Security Service/Equipment Providers
To ensure a continuing supply of telephone numbers, the new 726 area code will be added to the area served by 210.The 210 area code generally covers the greater San Antonio area including all or portions of the cities of Alamo Heights, Balcones Heights, Castle Hills, Cibolo, Converse, China Grove, Elmendorf, Fair Oaks Ranch, Garden Ridge, Grey Forest, Helotes, Hill Country Village, Hollywood Park, Kirby, Leon Valley, Live Oak, Olmos Park, Saint Hedwig, Schertz, Selma, Shavano Park, Terrell Hills, Universal City, Von Ormy and Windcrest within the counties of Atascosa, Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, Medina and Wilson. The new 726 NPA will serve the same geographic area currently served by the existing 210 NPA.
What is an Area Code Overlay?
An Area Code Overlay is the addition of another Area Code (in this case 726) to the same geographic region as an existing Area Code (210). Customer telephone numbers, which include the Area Code, will remain the same.
How does this affect Alarm and Security Service/Equipment Providers?
As a result of the Overlay, callers will be required to dial the Area Code + 7-digit telephone number. All local calls in the 210 Area Code that are currently dialed with 7-digits will need to be dialed using the Area Code + 7-digit telephone number. Long-distance/toll calls will continue to require 1+10-digit dialing.
Alarm and security services and equipment currently located in the 210 Area Code and programmed to dial only seven digits must be updated to dial the Area Code + telephone number for all local calls.
When will the change begin?
- Effective March 25, 2017, customers should begin using the new dialing procedure (Area Code + 7-digit telephone number) when placing local calls from the 210 Area Code. If customers dial 7-digits, calls will still complete.
- Beginning September 23, 2017, customers must use the new dialing procedure for all local calls. After this date, if customers do not use the new local dialing procedure, calls will not complete.
- Reprogramming of alarm and security services and equipment must be finished prior to September 22, 2017. All alarm and security companies impacted must make their programming/equipment changes by this date.
- Starting October 23, 2017 new telephone lines or services in the 210 Area Code may be assigned numbers with the new 726 Area Code. It will be necessary to dial the Area Code + 7-digit telephone number for all local calls from the 210 and 726 Area Codes.
What is the test number for the 726 Area Code?
To verify that calls can be completed to the new Area Code, a special test number will be available May 31, 2017 through October 27, 2017.
- The test number, 726-726-1726, is a local number.
- When making a test call that is toll/long distance, dial 1 + 726-726-1726.
What will remain the same?
The price of a call, local and long-distance calling areas, and other rates and services will not change as a result of the new Area Code or the dialing change. Customers will continue to dial just three digits to reach 911. If 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711 and 811 are currently available in specific communities, these services will continue to be dialed with just three digits.
Customers with questions about the dialing procedure change should be directed to their local service provider, or they can check the PUC website at http://www.puc.texas.gov/industry/maps/areacodes/TxAreaCodes.aspx for more information.
Co-Chairs for the San Antonio 210/726 Area Code Overlay: